Author Topic: 1ce. Really?  (Read 3102 times)

cp910

• Turning Bill into a human
  • Friendliness: -44
  • Eternally charging the GameBoy~
1ce. Really?
« on: May 28, 2014, 11:39:47 am »
I had no idea where to put this -.-
Anyway, if you weren't online when it happened 1ce was complaining about Grammar Nazis. But on the post (Which I couldn't quote because it was locked) "Xtra resigned his place as Viridian gym leader" You just completely contridicted yourself! By saying "Spell consent correctly."
ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS :(

This happened...
Been an exiting day for me

Ad...

Xtra

• PokeManiac
  • Leaving Pallet Town
  • Friendliness: -3
  • Scientist
Re: 1ce. Really?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:42:53 am »
Don't piss off 1ce.
Current Pixelmon Pewter Leader
Former Pixelmon Saffron Leader
Former Pixelmon Viridian Leader
Current Pixelmon Elite Challenger

1cec0ld

• Frozen Hearted Admin
  • Professor
  • Fighting Blaine
  • Friendliness: 94
  • Who am I to judge others?
  • Pokemon Team: Typhlosion, Espeon, Aerodactyl, Glalie, Jolteon, Mew the HM Slave
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 01:44:35 pm »
I say those things because I want to bring awareness to the individual that they have matters they need to improve.
I don't say them because I feel like correcting every mistake I see, or because it "bugs me" to see things incorrectly spelled or punctuated, or the most irksome reason I find, that I'd simply do it to annoy the target, which is the reason when someone corrects a request to stop correcting grammar mistakes.
When I say something like that, it isn't because I recognize that someone wants to save a second by missing a letter or capitalization. It's because I truly believe that they need to learn what they are saying.
Perhaps there is no difference between the classical idea of a 'grammar nazi' and my own practices. But that just makes me a hypocrite, no crime I haven't been guilty of before.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:46:51 pm by 1cec0ld »

Sahaquiel_9

• Entering Lavender Town
  • Friendliness: -23
  • Lakweesha Muthafuckinisha Jones
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:18:11 pm »
Former Viridian and Celadon City leader

Come on, Satan! Let's get sickening!

MrHeartGold

• Previously MrHeartGold, minecraft_matt01
  • Underground Passage-Vertical
  • Friendliness: -10
  • I'm watching..... You!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:46:27 pm »
I say those things because I want to bring awareness to the individual that they have matters they need to improve.
I don't say them because I feel like correcting every mistake I see, or because it "bugs me" to see things incorrectly spelled or punctuated, or the most irksome reason I find, that I'd simply do it to annoy the target, which is the reason when someone corrects a request to stop correcting grammar mistakes.
When I say something like that, it isn't because I recognize that someone wants to save a second by missing a letter or capitalization. It's because I truly believe that they need to learn what they are saying.
Perhaps there is no difference between the classical idea of a 'grammar nazi' and my own practices. But that just makes me a hypocrite, no crime I haven't been guilty of before.
Well said 1ce

tymac

• Cool Trainer
  • Fighting Erika
  • Friendliness: -24
  • “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities"
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 05:03:38 pm »

Most people these days can't really use proper grammar/punctuation.
I have 8 Kanto badges and 4 Johto badges!
I was the Vermilion Gym leader on the PVP server, where I led Vermilion for about 3 1/2 years!
I am a Kanto/Johto builder!

MrHeartGold

• I'm watching..... You!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:31:52 am »

Most people these days can't really use proper grammar/punctuation.
It's not always that they can't use proper grammar/punctuation. Sometimes its that there are shorter versions or the word or that they can't be bothered. Also some people should lay off it a little because its a game, not a test and you don't have to make everything perfect. If it's readable then its fine.

ryan22424

• Fighting Lt. Surge
  • Friendliness: -6
  • Wat
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:58:46 pm »
If it's readable then its fine.
That's what you think, but I think otherwise. I believe if you are going to spend the time in doing something, you should do it right. It may be readable, but others may find it difficult to do so.
Read my stories!

]

tymac

• Cool Trainer
  • Fighting Erika
  • Friendliness: -24
  • “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities"
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:15:42 pm »
It's not always that they can't use proper grammar/punctuation. Sometimes its that there are shorter versions or the word or that they can't be bothered. Also some people should lay off it a little because its a game, not a test and you don't have to make everything perfect. If it's readable then its fine.

The reason we have spelling/grammar is to ensure the best possible communication. Without them both, we would have trouble communicating well enough.
I have 8 Kanto badges and 4 Johto badges!
I was the Vermilion Gym leader on the PVP server, where I led Vermilion for about 3 1/2 years!
I am a Kanto/Johto builder!

raymondt99

• Dragon Tamer
  • Friendliness: 21
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 10:26:11 pm »
Should this be a new rule "use correct proper grammar and punctuation" ?   

Check this link out :) http://akk.li/pics/anne.jpg

Add me on league of legends:Golem101
I  Main Fiora ,thresh, And Hecarim <3

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 11:20:32 pm »

I wish.

MrHeartGold

• I'm watching..... You!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 02:36:32 am »
I hope not

1cec0ld

• Frozen Hearted Admin
  • Professor
  • Fighting Blaine
  • Friendliness: 94
  • Who am I to judge others?
  • Pokemon Team: Typhlosion, Espeon, Aerodactyl, Glalie, Jolteon, Mew the HM Slave
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 02:43:53 pm »
The purpose of language is to communicate, Grammar is a standard by which we ease the process. If we can communicate well enough without the help of proper grammar, then we have no need of its crutch. If some people feel that the communication wasn't clear enough, they can respectfully request that the individual use proper grammar so they can better understand the ideas being shared.
That discussion however, doesn't belong to this topic, because this topic is focused on whether or not someone should choose to help teach or correct someone's use of grammar, rather than the choice to use it at all.