Author Topic: Attention Sp... hold on one sec... ans!  (Read 4641 times)

GeoWhiz

• Entering Viridian Forest
  • Friendliness: 4
  • Unknown command. Press "1" for more options.
Attention Sp... hold on one sec... ans!
« on: August 25, 2015, 01:32:38 am »

Do kids have quicker attention spans than they did in previous generations? I tried my best to research it on the Web, and here's what I found:

Quote from: NPR
Mobile gadgets such as phones and tablet computers may be eroding kids’ attention spans and contributing to a rise in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder diagnosis, according to researchers in this Time magazine piece.

That’s because mobile devices condition their users to expect constant, electronic stimulus. When kids put down those devices, the real world can seem slow-paced and less interesting.

From the story:

Researchers are reluctant to say there is a direct correlation between gadgets and ADHD, but there are strong parallels between the upswing in diagnoses and an increase of screen time. One important finding: children and young adults who overdo TV and video games are nearly twice as likely to suffer from a variety of attention-span disorders, according to a study in the journal Pediatrics.

“ADHD is 10 times more common today than it was 20 years ago,” said Dimitri Christakis, the George Adkins professor of pediatrics at the University of Washington in Seattle. “Although it is clear that ADHD has a genetic basis, given that our genes have not changed appreciably in that time frame, it is likely that there are environmental factors that are contributing to this rise.”

Part of the problem is the fragmented, action-packed nature of electronic media. Christakis found that faster-paced shows increased the risk of attention issues. The brains of children adapt to that speed, so when they’re forced to work in the slower pace of life, they often struggle to pay attention because it’s less stimulating and rewarding.

Quote from: The Telegraph
A Microsoft study highlights the deteriorating attention span of humans, saying it has fallen from 12 seconds in 2000 to eight seconds. According to scientists, the age of smartphones has left humans with such a short attention span even a goldfish can hold a thought for longer.
Researchers surveyed 2,000 participants in Canada and studied the brain activity of 112 others using electroencephalograms.
The results showed the average human attention span has fallen from 12 seconds in 2000, or around the time the mobile revolution began, to eight seconds.
Goldfish, meanwhile, are believed to have an attention span of nine seconds.

I'm pretty neutral on this, so I'm just looking forward to your opinions.
Current Gym Badges: Soul Badge, Earth Badge, Marsh Badge, & Thunder Badge
Current Power Level: 2682
Current Power Level Rank: 116
Current Gym Leader of Cinnabar

Ad...

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
Re: Attention Sp... hold on one sec... ans!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:30:24 am »
Discipline is also less strict now days. If the cane were still a thing in schools you can bet kids wouldn't let their attention dip.

Technology is just dumbing the population.

Warmonger_2

• Raiding Silph Co.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 02:31:39 pm »
Discipline is also less strict now days. If the cane were still a thing in schools you can bet kids wouldn't let their attention dip.

Technology is just dumbing the population.

*Opinion Warning*

I agree, partially. While there is a distinct difference between the generations I do not think that technology is dumbing the population. On the contrary, I think it is helping. However, the lack of discipline and control of said technology is not causing any positive effects. I think the generation before, the one shoving kids in front of screens for "easy parenting", is causing/has caused the problem. Technology by itself cannot cause dumbness. Its all in how its used.
THE builder of Unova!!!

All fear the all powerful WARMONGER CLAN!!!

Le ocean maker.

WaffleDoc

• PokeManiac
  • Raiding TeamRocket in Celadon
  • Friendliness: -128
  • Detective WaffleCock reporting for Duty!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 03:09:42 pm »
Wait what are we suppose to be talking about?

LilacLily

• PokeFan
  • Surfing south to SeaFoam
  • Friendliness: -70
  • Dark dragon and proud of it bicsh
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 03:33:40 pm »
Wait what are we suppose to be talking about?
Seriously? Did you even read the main post? We're debating on whether technology is causing this generation to be more retarded.

In any case, I actually agree with Warmonger. Technology in itself isn't bad; it's how it's used. If parents would actually take the time to discipline their children, then we wouldn't have half the problems we have now.
Bacon is the ultimate solution to every problem.

WaffleDoc

• PokeManiac
  • Raiding TeamRocket in Celadon
  • Friendliness: -128
  • Detective WaffleCock reporting for Duty!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 03:58:02 pm »
...apparently we don't understand sarcasm either.

tymac

• Cool Trainer
  • Fighting Erika
  • Friendliness: -24
  • “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities"
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 04:06:59 pm »
In everything in our world, there is often something good and bad about it. The internet (or technology for this matter) is obviously no exception. You can often access many important information sources on the internet, like new languages, and research information for school and work. However, the internet can become a waste of time, and lead to a decline in productivity, like social media, and certain video games. Schools are realizing how important technology has become, and have starting utilizing it in their favor; unfortunately some children need to learn that their time should be used better. This is where parents need to start to discipline their children more often
I have 8 Kanto badges and 4 Johto badges!
I was the Vermilion Gym leader on the PVP server, where I led Vermilion for about 3 1/2 years!
I am a Kanto/Johto builder!

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 08:19:47 pm »

*Opinion Warning*

I agree, partially. While there is a distinct difference between the generations I do not think that technology is dumbing the population. On the contrary, I think it is helping. However, the lack of discipline and control of said technology is not causing any positive effects. I think the generation before, the one shoving kids in front of screens for "easy parenting", is causing/has caused the problem. Technology by itself cannot cause dumbness. Its all in how its used.

Yeah, I wasn't clear enough. People are becoming more reliant on it to perform basic tasks, like simple math. Doesn't help so many people are glued to their electronic  devices.

Warmonger_2

• Raiding Silph Co.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 02:59:05 pm »
Yeah, I wasn't clear enough. People are becoming more reliant on it to perform basic tasks, like simple math. Doesn't help so many people are glued to their electronic  devices.

Agreed. Especially on the math thing...
THE builder of Unova!!!

All fear the all powerful WARMONGER CLAN!!!

Le ocean maker.

GeoWhiz

• Entering Viridian Forest
  • Unknown command. Press "1" for more options.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 06:03:51 pm »

Agreed. Especially on the math thing...

Siri, what's 2 + 2?
Current Gym Badges: Soul Badge, Earth Badge, Marsh Badge, & Thunder Badge
Current Power Level: 2682
Current Power Level Rank: 116
Current Gym Leader of Cinnabar