Author Topic: A consensus  (Read 2504 times)

Ichikunjii

• Underground Passage-Horizontal
  • Friendliness: 3
A consensus
« on: September 16, 2012, 11:49:59 pm »
Well as you know from  Arceus  knows how long ago, me and a few other builders went ahead and built "VoxelHoenn MK.II"

In which a few used emulators while I used pictures and Jotr used AM.

Now that I help build in Server Hoenn, Anon doesn't want me to use pictures for building. ALTHOUGH I have used pictures to its "great effect" (helps me see what patterns there are on each tile/step.) could I be an exception?

Head builders mind giving a yay or nay and an explanation?
[url

Ad...

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
Re: A consensus
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 11:59:01 pm »
I'd say let pictures be used, as long as you're able to get some kind of scaling reference. Remember, warmonger built most of his work in Unova based off pictures (he didn't even own the game then). Sometimes I find building of pictures to be more efficient because you can see everything you're building all at once, and sometimes it helps when building big structures you only see a snippet of in game.

What I use to build:
  • The actual game in my DS
  • Official game guide
  • Concept art occasionally

Ichikunjii

• Underground Passage-Horizontal
  • Friendliness: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:01:09 am »
I'd say let pictures be used, as long as you're able to get some kind of scaling reference. Remember, warmonger built most of his work in Unova based off pictures (he didn't even own the game then). Sometimes I find building of pictures to be more efficient because you can see everything you're building all at once, and sometimes it helps when building big structures you only see a snippet of in game.

What I use to build:
  • The actual game in my DS
  • Official game guide
  • Concept art occasionally

I agree. And I just noticed I put this in the wrong section....Admin/Mod move to Hoenn-Related please?
[url

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:04:18 am »
I agree. And I just noticed I put this in the wrong section....Admin/Mod move to Hoenn-Related please?
I think just the general 'Pokemon Maps' section would suffice. This could be for all builders to see, not just specifically Hoenn. If there was an Advance map program for DS games, Id definitely use that

1cec0ld

• Frozen Hearted Admin
  • Professor
  • Fighting Blaine
  • Friendliness: 94
  • Who am I to judge others?
  • Pokemon Team: Typhlosion, Espeon, Aerodactyl, Glalie, Jolteon, Mew the HM Slave
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:10:43 am »
I think I have some expertise in this area...

The reason I tell builders not to use pictures is to prevent problems like 1x2 walkways or 5-wide houses or  Arceus  knows what else. I know for a fact that some trees in Johto are 3 steps tall, while others are 2 tall, depending on  where the tree is found in the game. If you aren't doing anything with walking distance, use all the pictures you want. If you're just designing a building, AdvanceMap can barely help you. Cuz lets face it, that house over there is not 4 blocks tall. It's probably going to look better 6-7 blocks tall. As long as the person who outlined the walking width and depth of the area was using a proper scale, there is no more help a mapping program can give. It's when builders blur the lines between scaling and designing that I start to get irked.