Author Topic: Presidential Debates  (Read 2367 times)

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
  • Friendliness: 39
Presidential Debates
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:50:14 pm »
I watched the debates between Obama and Romney and I thought it was great. I'd love to talk to anyone who watched it and talk about the ideas of each respective candidate. So any general thoughts? Please keep this topic serious; hopefully we can have some form of intelligence on our forums in the wake of stupidity. I'd rather wait for some responses before giving my own opinions.

Ad...

Z4X3R

• Raiding TeamRocket in Celadon
  • Friendliness: 0
  • we really out here
Re: Presidential Debates
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:01:49 pm »
This is a very good idea for a topic, although I cannot contribute too much to the subject. I aw playing football for my school, thus missing the debate. Also I can't vote yet, and I won't make an ignorant statement about who I Would vote for.

Vithrus

• Fuchsia Leader
  • Farewell SS Anne
  • Friendliness: 2
  • Elite 4
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:42:18 pm »
Was a great debate, a good show for Romney, he came out aggressive and swinging, and it was what was needed to I think re-invigorate the Republican ticket in the wake of the 47% gaffe and declining poll numbers for him. Lot of "surveys" and "facts" thrown out, but still no direct light on what loopholes or program he has for taxes - He wants to drop taxes by 20% across the board, and it will be offset by limiting deductions for taxpayers only? We need more information and clarity I think.

I think Obama missed out on a lot of opportunities to rebuff and attack back Romney - Bain Capital and sending jobs overseas, the 47% remark, the blatant lie that Romney said his tax plan won't cost $5 trillion, the $716 billion cut to Medicare is the the same cut that Paul Ryan has proposed! Obama I think missed a lot of opportunities, but at least with talking about Obamacare, he was a bit more prepared and comfortable.

Just some thoughts, will see if others care to chime in, or just care at all.

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
  • Friendliness: 39
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:01:07 am »
I agree with a lot of the things you said Vith. In my opinion, at least at the start, Romney was aggressive in his stance and throwing Obama under the bus. By the end, Obama was establishing a stronger stance but Romney really knew what he was talking about. The numbers thrown out by Romney were good but I think Obama hit a strong point with Romney: there is no clear cut thing with him. His ideas seem good but he isn't giving a clear cut answer on the details.

But overall I think Romney made great points. I liked his medicare idea about having two options, one for private and one for federal, and cutting down costs across the board. I think Obama was really weak in this area. He kept talking about how that if medicare collapses then the senior citizens will be left at the mercy of the insurance companies. But Romney seems to want to create a strong foundation so I wouldn't see that being a problem but like I said, not many details. I agree with Romney that if we give the insurance companies incentive to have lower costs then private insurance will be more affordable. Why should the government regulate what goes on between you and your doctor? Financial reasons? Fine, but give a choice.

I also loved Romney's idea about state's having more power. Having states model their own kind of healthcare policies to fit their needs seems reasonable rather than having a cookie-cutter all-around policy like Obamacare. Romney also brought up great points about education and having money "follow a child" and rather than give the money to the state, give it to the parents so that they can go where they want. I believe my figures are right, but Romney mentioned how Obama spent 4 trillion dollars starting up Obamacare where that could had been invested to have 2 million new teachers? I have yet to see a large impact on public schooling in my local area and in all honestly, it needs improvement.

Vithrus

• Fuchsia Leader
  • Farewell SS Anne
  • Friendliness: 2
  • Elite 4
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:50:09 am »
I agree with you on Romney making great points, and yes more details will most likely (Or have to) come out soon for some more policies, but of what we did learn, I'm all about the fiscal ideas proposed if they can work. He spoke with charisma and optimism which is great - but again the big big thing about the 20% reduction in taxes across the board is gonna be the big talk - and whether it still is the plan or if he'll be trying something new.

I especially liked and I think I agree with the overall idea for reducing down debt and waste - deregulate Federal programs and let the States handle what they can (Of course it's give and take and it will be interesting to see what would work), cut and trim Federal jobs and programs with the "Is it worth it to have this program if we have to borrow from China?" policy, and have balanced, incentive-based programs with budget+inflation and 1%, if government programs can't make that, then they have to internally cut and trim just like private companies!

I was all for Romney criticizing yet praising the Dodd Frank legislation passed, and for the Obama administration and congress/senate actually implementing it. It's a fine line I think, between too much regulation in the Financial Markets and not enough - when everything was deregulated in the early 2000's, and as they said in the debate, lending was crazy, people with low incomes could buy expensive houses, brokers didn't care, and when those mortgages were wrapped up into securities and rated high by Moody's, S&P and others when they shouldn't have been, it was all just a bit too much. But where the legislation is now, it's a bit too over regulated with some ambiguities - that's preventing possible lending by banks and such, which would improve the economy. So it's good to see, and it's nice to know that Romney has business experience and knowledge of these things.

I know I'm sounding very pro-Romney, but still I'm very undecided, but this is why debates are fun and getting to know the nominees! I voted for Obama in 08' because I didn't like McCain's flip-floppy policy stances, but I don't know who I'm going to vote for. We're talking about Romney though a lot because I think it was good to finally see some details and some information and his stances.

LilacLily

• PokeFan
  • Surfing south to SeaFoam
  • Friendliness: -70
  • Dark dragon and proud of it bicsh
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:54 am »
...there was a debate?

why wasnt i told...?
Bacon is the ultimate solution to every problem.

Mariofighter3

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Koga
  • Friendliness: -30
  • It Doesn't Matter.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 08:54:19 pm »
Because you are younger than someone of a certain age that should care of this caliber of politics.

However, that is an average. Go right on ahead and say what you think. :)