Author Topic: Polybius  (Read 2591 times)

Mariofighter3

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Koga
  • Friendliness: -30
  • It Doesn't Matter.
Polybius
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:39:44 pm »
According to the story, an unheard-of new arcade game appeared in several suburbs of Portland, Oregon in 1981, something of a rarity at the time. The game proved to be incredibly popular, to the point of addiction, and lines formed around the machines, often resulting in fighting over who played next. This was followed by clusters of visits from men in black. Rather than the usual marketing data collected by company visitors to arcade machines, they collected some unknown data, allegedly testing responses to the psychoactive machines. The players themselves suffered from a series of unpleasant side effects, including amnesia, insomnia, nightmares, night terrors, and even suicide in some versions of the legend. Some players stopped playing video games, while reportedly one became an antigaming activist. The supposed creator of Polybius is Ed Rotberg, and the company named in the urban legend is Sinneslöschen (what seems to be a slightly incorrect German translation for "sensory-extinguishing"), often named as either a secret government organization or a codename for Atari. The gameplay is said to be similar to Tempest (a shoot 'em up game using vector graphics), while the game is said to contain subliminal messages which would influence the action of anyone playing it

Watch this too:

m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=VDXSr8jjpVk

Believe in it?

Ad...

Okieskinny

• PokeFan
  • Cycling Road
  • Friendliness: 16
  • ◕ ‿ ◕ Always Watching
Re: Polybius
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:44:15 pm »
Lol, you watch Game Theory too? :)

Mariofighter3

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Koga
  • It Doesn't Matter.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:45:26 pm »
I known about this for awhile, but yes I just subscribed to him. :)

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
  • Friendliness: 39
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:18:43 pm »
It has to be fake. You state in your quotation it's a legend twice. Why would I believe in something that, from your original source, is a myth?

LilacLily

• PokeFan
  • Surfing south to SeaFoam
  • Friendliness: -70
  • Dark dragon and proud of it bicsh
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:23:45 pm »
It has to be fake. You state in your quotation it's a legend twice. Why would I believe in something that, from your original source, is a myth?
mmhmm. :nod:
Bacon is the ultimate solution to every problem.

Mariofighter3

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Koga
  • It Doesn't Matter.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:36:13 pm »
Jeus Paradox. .-.

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:43:22 pm »
I think it's fake. I'll happily have a real debate about it with you though. What's your argument.

Mariofighter3

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Koga
  • It Doesn't Matter.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 08:45:56 pm »
I don't have one. .-.

This was just for fun; I wanted to see what others think about this urban legend.

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:24:37 pm »
Well, it's in debates. I'd love to debate over it with you or anyone really. It's not meant to be harsh or mean in anyways; merely intellectually stimulating.

dax

• Cool Trainer
  • Fighting Brock
  • Friendliness: 0
  • I ATE YOUR BABIES
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 12:56:12 am »
well, if all you have for evidence is a theory, than it must by a GAME THEORY! on a lighter note, i think it COULD be real, considering I have a love-hate relationship with the government and it seems like something they would do.
One night i was laying on my bed looking up at the stars and thinking "WHERE THE HECK DID MY ROOF GO?!?!?!"

[img]http://www.dragonflycave.com/wpay/tog