Author Topic: The life of pi debate  (Read 2207 times)

hobo4chompy

• Fighting Your Rival
  • Friendliness: 1
  • The Lemon Law Its A Real Thing
The life of pi debate
« on: January 05, 2013, 05:43:04 am »
Ok for this debate I am gonna talk about

The life of pi a new movie that has come out and has made a great influence on the world.

Now I'm gonna talk about the ending so if you don't want to spoil it then don't read anymore

Ok so in the end of the movie there is a twist where pi tells to different stories but both represent ye other

1st story - story with animal
2nd story - animals are replaced with humans

Many people ask the question of which of the 2 stories are true

To be honest I think the 1st story is what really happened but I wanna see what you guys think

Pls don't spoil it for everyone

Ad...

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
  • Friendliness: 39
Re: The life of pi debate
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:50:14 pm »

This contains spoilers.

I actually read the book over the summer for my English class so I'll give you my little analysis on the story.

The story of Pi is meant to be a convincing story for the author to believe in  Arceus  (It's in the introduction). So you want to connect the story to that idea: Why should I believe in  Arceus ? There are two possibilities for the story, one in which a boy bravely survives the elements and against all odds lives. He overcame the barrier of a tiger on the boat, his own personal barriers (eating meat when he was a vegetarian), and weather barriers. Yet he stays faithful to  Arceus  throughout. In the second story, it's a terrible mess about savagery and horrors. Obliviously the second one seems more correct yet it leaves the reader/viewer with a bad taste. And the first one is so heart warming.

So the major question is: Which one should I believe in? But the thing that is interesting is this: In the end, the story is the same. He lives and his parents are dead. Does it matter which one you believe in? The ending is the same. So why should you believe in a depressing story rather than a hopeful one if it doesn't matter. And that's how you are convinced to believe in  Arceus . The story of  Arceus  does not seems as realistic and plausible as scientific beliefs, but what's more hopeful? Knowing an all-powerful being looms over you, loving you? Or a vast-unknown universe exists and we mean nothing. You chose. Does it matter which one is "right" if the ending is the same? You will die eventually. So either live life with hope or in fear.

hobo4chompy

• Fighting Your Rival
  • Friendliness: 1
  • The Lemon Law Its A Real Thing
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:25:10 pm »
Thats a very good explination

cabass

• Banned
  • Raiding TeamRocket in Celadon
  • Friendliness: -39
  • Huntsman, if you need an assassin, just mail me.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:48:29 pm »
don't worry i find the book to be better then the movie