Poll

Pick da computer pls :)

MacBook Pro 13" Haswell (released rumored 22nd October)
4 (33.3%)
Dell Inspiron 17.6" Haswell (can buy now)
6 (50%)
Other (Please Specify Below)
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Computer Suggestion  (Read 3712 times)

snowbro911

• PokeManiac
  • Underground Passage-Vertical
  • Friendliness: 5
  • Just snow...
Computer Suggestion
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:45:57 am »

Ok, so recently, my dell Inspiron 15, home edition, decided to destroy itself and now is absolutely obliterated. So now, I have been saving for a new computer. I was aiming to buy a MacBook pro coming out in approx, 2 weeks time with haswell chip, but my mum's computer person said that they are ok, but you can get a better windows computer such as the dell Inspiron 17" 8gb ram, 2gb dedicated graphics card and 1tb hard drive.

So here' s the question: should I buy a MacBook with, as from leaked information, 13" screen, 4gb ram, 1gb graphics, 10hr battery life, sharp retina screen, and at most 750gb storage. It can be used for all, windows, linux and iOS operating systems.

Or

Dell Inspiron 17R 7000 with high res. screen, 8gb ram, 2gb graphics, 8hr battery life, 1tb storage but only on windows 8.

I do game, but not heaps, and when I do, they are mostly windows only supported. I can use boot camp on Mac though.

Also, I will save around $500 on buying a dell rather than a Mac.

Please vote and support your opinion, and also give your own experiences and reasons for why the one you pick is better.

Thanks  :D

Staff trainer and Deputy at Pewter Police
Previous leader of Fuchsia City Gym

Check out my Moderators Application when you have a chance :)

What I got in 2014:

Ad...

ArchieSalt

• Professor Assistant
  • Spelunking in Seafoam Islands
  • Friendliness: 25
Re: Computer Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:58:27 am »
I would go for Mac due to my preference, but if your purpose is partly windows based gaming - Dell is the right choice for you.

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:18:14 am »
Basically what Archie said. Mac hasn't let me down yet.

Sahaquiel_9

• Entering Lavender Town
  • Friendliness: -23
  • Lakweesha Muthafuckinisha Jones
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 04:22:30 pm »
Windows.  Macs absolutely suck and you're paying 2x more for a crappy computer with a good layout.  Windows has more games and stuff, too.  Also, if you really want a good OS, use linux.  I don't use it because I can't overly modify the computer, but it's one of the best operating systems.
Former Viridian and Celadon City leader

Come on, Satan! Let's get sickening!

snowbro911

• PokeManiac
  • Just snow...
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 07:44:38 am »
Ok, here's how I see it so far...

I have had two previous windows computers, both destroying themselves nearly exactly a year after getting it.

Thanks for the responses and here's my verdict so far:

A dell would be great for gaming and all round stuff, plus it is cheaper. However, it is a plastic computer and from my past dell experiences, they break pretty easily. Although, they are a better all around processor, graphics, etc.

However

A Mac can be used for all three operating systems,and from what I have heard from many people, last a long time. They are built in an aliminium case and seem to cope with some pretty hard knocks. However, they do cost a fair bit more and have a lesser set of processors, graphics, etc.

So it comes down to quality or time as I see it. What do you think? Do you agree or disagree?

What I got in 2014:

ArchieSalt

• Professor Assistant
  • Spelunking in Seafoam Islands
  • Friendliness: 25
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 07:50:58 am »
Ok, here's how I see it so far...

I have had two previous windows computers, both destroying themselves nearly exactly a year after getting it.

Thanks for the responses and here's my verdict so far:

A dell would be great for gaming and all round stuff, plus it is cheaper. However, it is a plastic computer and from my past dell experiences, they break pretty easily. Although, they are a better all around processor, graphics, etc.

However

A Mac can be used for all three operating systems,and from what I have heard from many people, last a long time. They are built in an aliminium case and seem to cope with some pretty hard knocks. However, they do cost a fair bit more and have a lesser set of processors, graphics, etc.

So it comes down to quality or time as I see it. What do you think? Do you agree or disagree?
You've got it right there. I'm using my iMac from 2010 right now and it shows no signs of failing any time soon. Not forgetting that i'm using Intel HD Graphics and a Generation I Core i3 Processor yet I can run Minecraft and other intense games at 60FPS with decent settings. And if you look at the Macbook model you're getting, i'm pretty sure it comes with 1GB of Nvidia graphics which instantly makes your computer a beast. Not to mention a very good processor and RAM.
Hope I helped :)

Warmonger_2

• Raiding Silph Co.
  • Friendliness: 4
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 10:24:36 am »
Here are some ideas for you. Personally I would never buy a Mac. Dell laptops have proven to be the best laptops when it comes to lasting a long time. I have worked and owned many of them and they all seem to do quite well. Also MSI makes some good stuff. Of course it all depends on your budget. Here are some things that I have found. Also always buy electronics online from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Alienware-BLACK-3940XM-3-9GHz-Windows/dp/B009AKC5AY/ref=sr_1_11?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1381500697&sr=1-11&keywords=Dell+Gaming+laptop

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT70-2OC-065US-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00CU9GLUM/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1381500485&sr=1-9&keywords=Gaming+laptop

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE70-2OE-017US-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00CU9GKU8/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1381500485&sr=1-2&keywords=Gaming+laptop

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-GT683DX-840US-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B0072BA3AW/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1381500791&sr=1-12&keywords=Dell+Gaming+laptop

These are all good computers that would play everything you could possibly want. Enjoy and happy shopping
THE builder of Unova!!!

All fear the all powerful WARMONGER CLAN!!!

Le ocean maker.

snowbro911

• PokeManiac
  • Just snow...
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:14:50 am »
Thanks guys for the tips!  :)

Bumped for last opinions and voting (as two options are tied)

What I got in 2014: