Author Topic: Forum Admins: Registration  (Read 2965 times)

AK49BWL

• Forum Admin
  • Leaving Pallet Town
  • Friendliness: 8
    • AK49BWL
Forum Admins: Registration
« on: February 14, 2016, 01:28:47 pm »
Hey. 1ce's brother here, I just have a few notes to make on the forum's current registration of countless spambots... Not sure who's in control of the forum settings because 1ce isn't responding at the moment, but I would highly recommend to whoever IS, they change the "Method of registration employed for new members" to Email Activation. Seriously - the Immediate Registration setting is just begging for these spammers to come and tear it up in here. StopForumSpam will not catch 'em all (:p)

I did however change one thing: the Verification Question. Eventually, someone is going to have to change it again (or add more of them) because the spammers WILL eventually figure it out and get by that portion. The Visual Verification is pretty much useless and easy for most bots to figure out. You'll know when they've broken the questions when you suddenly have an enormous registration approval queue, which I also just went through and wiped out.... I'm seeing on the memberlist however that there are still a LOT of them hanging around that SFS didn't catch - but I'll leave it to you guys to take care of them as you see fit.

1ce knows how to get in touch with me if anyone has any questions of me. Just trying to help out a bit, and keep your Intro board a little cleaner ;)

Ad...

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
Re: Forum Admins: Registration
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:27:12 pm »
So I changed that setting >.> We were watching the number of members awaiting approval rise :P

AK49BWL

• Forum Admin
  • Leaving Pallet Town
  • Friendliness: 8
    • AK49BWL
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 04:34:53 pm »
Ahh.. He didn't tell me that, just showed me a pic of the insane number of "Hi I'm so glad I'm spamming you!" posts lol.

1cec0ld

• Frozen Hearted Admin
  • Professor
  • Fighting Blaine
  • Friendliness: 94
  • Who am I to judge others?
  • Pokemon Team: Typhlosion, Espeon, Aerodactyl, Glalie, Jolteon, Mew the HM Slave
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 06:15:13 pm »
Well they were awaiting approval because they were spam bots. Saying "ok let's just allow you in so we don't have to see the count" was not a good choice imo.

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 04:37:22 am »
Well they were awaiting approval because they were spam bots. Saying "ok let's just allow you in so we don't have to see the count" was not a good choice imo.

I didn't change any setting

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email: