Author Topic: Time Travel  (Read 7705 times)

Mariofighter3

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Koga
  • Friendliness: -30
  • It Doesn't Matter.
Time Travel
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:12:27 pm »
Ok, I love this topic. Do you think it's possible? I personally don't, and I will go into my facts against its possibility if anyone wants me to.

Ad...

Prodigy39

• Professor
  • Surfing south to SeaFoam
  • Friendliness: 18
  • Live your life the way you want to
Re: Time Travel
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:22:04 pm »
Mario I did a 30 minute presentation on this, if I get into this it's gonna be like spam.
"Tene likes her men like squirrels like their acorns... Buried." -Me, inspired from adult swim
I approve

ArchieSalt

• Professor Assistant
  • Spelunking in Seafoam Islands
  • Friendliness: 25
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 08:08:16 am »
It is possible. You need a vehicle that can travel at a certain speed which will slow down the way everything Looks around you while you are actually travellnig at a normal speed. Once the vehicle stops you will be in the future. Unfortunately there is no current way to go back in time

Mariofighter3

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Koga
  • It Doesn't Matter.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:29:25 am »
I want to see what PARADOX has to think about TIME TRAVEL. Hahaha.

Prodigy39

• Professor
  • Surfing south to SeaFoam
  • Friendliness: 18
  • Live your life the way you want to
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:33:20 am »
If anyone has any arguments on this, I'm your man 8)
"Tene likes her men like squirrels like their acorns... Buried." -Me, inspired from adult swim
I approve

CKDavid

• Underground Passage-Vertical
  • Friendliness: 4
  • Like a boss
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 04:28:20 pm »
If it can happen, I don't believe in alternate timelines because if you experience something and go back and change the past, then what you experienced won't be changed because you already experienced it.
I'm sure there are a million flaws with that statement, but I don't really care because I'm pretty sure it leads to a paradox. And it makes my head hurt.

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
  • Friendliness: 39
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 05:54:54 pm »
I think time is merely a component of one's reality. That's why our perceptions of certain times are different. The old saying "Time flies when your having fun" is merely proof that time is something that you percieve and understand depending on your conscience. Thus, I think that time itself is self controlled based on perception. Like when your adrenline increases, time slows down. You may think time is constant, but in reality, it's not. It's our pure perception. It's hard to break away from this because we've made a way of "measuring" time, but before humans made clocks and ways to schedule "time", what was there? We base time off the sun, but that's not true. In other galaxies, time exists. What time is it there? It all depends upon perception.

So, back to time travel. I think that it truely depends upon your perception. I don't believe in the ability to make a machine and throw you in a certain time period, but I do believe that if one were to change their perception, they would be able to, in a sense, recreate their own reality in any time period they wish. Is that real time travel? I believe so, but that's just personal opinion. I mean, what is reality? When you dream, you think that's reality. So is this reality that we're in now? I don't know, that's a different topic.

ArchieSalt

• Professor Assistant
  • Spelunking in Seafoam Islands
  • Friendliness: 25
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 06:03:00 pm »
Brilliant summary. But its like saying if you try hard enough, you will succeed. In most cases its not possible.
For example. Me racing Usain Bolt and me winning. Because I 'Tried hard'
I like your idea although its pretty hard to grasp when 'if one were to change their perception, they would be able to, in a sense, recreate their own reality in any time period they wish.'
Everybody wishes they could do this but the truth is. Its practically impossible at the moment. Which kind of makes this topic null and void.
I believe what you said. But its harder than you make it sound.
As for a machine which can place you in a certain time period. I think that is possible in the future. Although obviously not anytime soon.

Mariofighter3

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Koga
  • It Doesn't Matter.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 06:31:29 pm »
If actual time travel were to exist, would either your present conscious overwrite yours from that time period if going back in time or would two of you exist? I want to here what people think of that too.

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 11:25:17 pm »
@Archie: In no way did I mean to make it seem easy. Whether it is easy or not I don't know because I'm not aware of any techniques that would have you recreate reality. I'm sure it's difficult though.

@Mario: I don't think your getting the entire message. About the physical body, I would assume you would die and be in this new reality. Sleeping is a basic form of recreating your own reality, but it's fragmented and incomplete and your brain is slowed down during this. Maybe it's because your body is trying to rebuild itself and heal and whatnot while you sleep, I don't know. I may be wrong.

Honestly, I don't believe that though. It's too simple. If my idea is correct, then what we are all percieving now isn't a "ultimate reality", it's just one reality that we're all understanding and living in now. Once we lose conscience of it, we're out of it, even though our "body" may be here, but that doesn't matter in the long run. If I'm in a comma, my body isn't what you want, it's my mind. And my mind is just not here, it's it it's own reality, correct? Where I have recreated time to revolve around whatever I want (Or my brain wants, really).

Either way, the body doesn't matter. It's like asking "If I died in my dream, where does my body go?" I don't know.

Mariofighter3

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Koga
  • It Doesn't Matter.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 12:00:30 am »
Para, I have understood what you have said all along. But, the thing is that my theory on time travel is based around the actual process of bending the fabric of time itself in order to go to the past, not the future. See, in order to truly see if time traveling into the past is a paradox, I need to know if you were over right your conscious in that with the one from the present or would your body and your conscious would go back too. If my conscious hypothesis is correct, then time traveling into the past will no matter what be a paradox. I'll give the simplest example:

Let's say you have always wanted to go back in time. If you were to go to the past and still have your conscious from the present, then you will think "Oh boy, I've been to the past! Now I don't have to in the present." Right there, the paradox starts because in the past your goal has been completed, so now in the future you no longer have to in the present time travel anymore. Because in the present you longer need to, and that your conscious is in your body from the past with your other one (prove why it will happen), you time traveling in the future no longer exists and starts the chain paradox of now having no history of the travel, and so forever repeating the process.

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:13:27 am »
Actually, I don't think that's a really thought out answer. I can think whatever I want or do what I want, that doesn't affect my surroundings.  Your rational here is on the basis of the cliche of time travel but that's not what I'm talking about at all. I don't think you can bend time or create paradox's, it's already layed out. Imagine a grid with an infinite amount of points. And imagine those points being intercepted by an infinite amount of points. Each point can represent a slice of time in a reality. As our conscience works in a linear fashion, we are merely going in a line across one reality plane, correct? So you don't need to bend time, you just need to go to the point and place you would want to be. How to do that, I don't know. But your phyiscal body and your thoughts don't affect that process.

Mariofighter3

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Koga
  • It Doesn't Matter.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 12:19:51 am »
I know it's a weak example, but it's 11:30 PM and I'm about to collapse. I'll rethink it over in the morning.

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 12:27:37 am »
I know it's a weak example, but it's 11:30 PM and I'm about to collapse. I'll rethink it over in the morning.

Sounds good to me bro. I like having these conversations.

liquidfired

• Dragon Tamer
  • Raiding Silph Co.
  • Friendliness: -4
  • Unregistered Member (Error 114: Needs Activation)
    • Liquidfired's Channel of Awesomeness
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 12:31:07 am »
I'm in love with Quantum Physics. Ok since I'm on a phone, I'll make this short and sweet. Technically we are time traveling right now as I speak. We move one second into the future. If your talking about another type of time travel, Enstein's theory of Relativity states it. If you are on a spaceship traveling at the speed of light, only you are speeding up in time, everything else would seem the same. Which basically means if you're travelling in the speed of light for three years, only you age three years. Earth for example might have aged an extra 20 years because only you were in that same speed. You can not travel to the past because of the Grandfather Paradox where it loops over and over again. I can explain that in detail later. Wormholes also are forms of time travel or teleportation as you can bend the Universe to transport yourself. However if uou travel to the past then travel back to the present, if you alter the past, nothing will happen because you travel to another universe if you travel back to the present to not cause the Grandfsther paradox. Be warned this is all a theory, not truth