Author Topic: Server Issues  (Read 8965 times)

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
  • Friendliness: 39
Server Issues
« on: August 23, 2014, 05:13:06 pm »
Hey guys, haven't been here in a while. Anyways, there seems like a lot of problems going on with the server. Just to name a few: Communication, direction, energy and resources (player wise). I'd like to help solve some of these issues, but I've only gotten on the server today so I don't know too much about the situation besides what I've read on the forums/heard from a few players. I'm hoping all players can post here with what they think is currently wrong with the server so that I can get some more perspective. Thanks.

Ad...

Envz

Re: Server Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 05:14:45 pm »

1cec0ld

• Frozen Hearted Admin
  • Professor
  • Fighting Blaine
  • Friendliness: 94
  • Who am I to judge others?
  • Pokemon Team: Typhlosion, Espeon, Aerodactyl, Glalie, Jolteon, Mew the HM Slave
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:40:13 pm »
The administrative team feels it more prudent to work on the replacement than to try and put bandaids on a wounded server. That's the metaphor for it.

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:49:55 pm »
Could you please expand on what replacement is being worked on and what it is replacing? What is currently wrong?

1cec0ld

• Frozen Hearted Admin
  • Professor
  • Fighting Blaine
  • Pokemon Team: Typhlosion, Espeon, Aerodactyl, Glalie, Jolteon, Mew the HM Slave
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 05:56:15 pm »
I thought you were around when the build server started. Replacing the current, outdated, laggy, ugly, unscaled map with the new one, all of the first 5 regions included. More organization, planning, build design with future features in mind, rather than trying to add new things to a map which wasn't designed for it.

The largest debate now is, how long can we ignore the current server problems before the updated version becomes more costly to us.

In addition, some players believe that the Pixelmon server should be the dominant one, with the Pvp server being phased out.
That entire link xEnvz referred to is referring to the Pixelmon Server only.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:00:02 pm by 1cec0ld »

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 06:37:58 pm »
I thought you were around when the build server started. Replacing the current, outdated, laggy, ugly, unscaled map with the new one, all of the first 5 regions included. More organization, planning, build design with future features in mind, rather than trying to add new things to a map which wasn't designed for it.

The largest debate now is, how long can we ignore the current server problems before the updated version becomes more costly to us.

In addition, some players believe that the Pixelmon server should be the dominant one, with the Pvp server being phased out.
That entire link xEnvz referred to is referring to the Pixelmon Server only.

That's the problem. The server is very close to dead because you're focusing on the wrong things. Rather than focusing on expanding, why not build your foundation? The foundation isn't the map, the foundation is the gameplay. That's whats at stake. Why not use the old, complete maps to help encourage players to play again, and then start expanding when we have the playerbase to support the maps?

1cec0ld

• Frozen Hearted Admin
  • Professor
  • Fighting Blaine
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 06:45:09 pm »
K. Let's create an ad for the server.

"Hey everyone, play on this server that looks like the rest of the Kanto builds out there with a little more attention to detail! We have a badge system, players are gym leaders, elite 4, they can even become the champion! Please ignore the gigantic hole near cherry grove city and new bark town, those were put there a year ago. Also please forgive the lag around mtmoon and the lag in general. You also might have a hard time doing anything in the egregiously inflated economy, or beating a single gym leader because they've all trained for 6-36 months longer than you have. The wild areas are a short warp away, you can mine and build to your own desire, just beware of raiders! And the fact that you have to travel for hours to find anything that hasn't been xrayed to a bare rock over 2 years. Hope to see you there!"

We are old and we need a change.

We could do any number of things to address each individual problem, but we feel like it is more prudent to make all these disruptive changes at once.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:47:47 pm by 1cec0ld »

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 06:51:13 pm »
K. Let's create an ad for the server.

"Hey everyone, play on this server that looks like the rest of the Kanto builds out there with a little more attention to detail! We have a badge system, players are gym leaders, elite 4, they can even become the champion! Please ignore the gigantic hole near cherry grove city and new bark town, those were put there a year ago. Also please forgive the lag around mtmoon and the lag in general. You also might have a hard time doing anything in the egregiously inflated economy, or beating a single gym leader because they've all trained for 6-36 months longer than you have. The wild areas are a short warp away, you can mine and build to your own desire, just beware of raiders! And the fact that you have to travel for hours to find anything that hasn't been xrayed to a bare rock over 2 years. Hope to see you there!"

We are old and we need a change.

Out of that entire paragraph, only two sentences referenced a problem with the map. IT seems like you have much larger issues at hand. Why not tackle them first? There seems to be much bigger fish to fry, right? Why not start with resolving the in-game issues, then create a suitable map for it? There's no point in having this cool, awesome map if you don't have a solution to the other problems. Before you spend time building, make sure that there is a proper model behind it.

tymac

• Cool Trainer
  • Fighting Erika
  • Friendliness: -24
  • “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities"
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:06:09 pm »
Is this how admin meetings used to go? >.>

But as Ive heard, not many people would be too interested in the current map we have now. Yes it is old, and can be used. But would you rather play Pokemon Red or Pokemon FireRed (Besides the nostalgia)? Thats why we want to fix the graphics part by starting a new map. As for people being stuck on getting a gym leader's badge can be linked to people not coming online (advertising after we have all five pretty regions will bring others online, and will overall make older members come online to talk) and people having way too high mcmmo stats. Our sucky economy can be fixed with this new update, if we start a new fresh slate. So with the new maps coming out, we might be able to fix some problems: Our economy, and having trouble getting a badge.

The main thing is we want people to enjoy themselves. And it would be harder if newer players can't get badges, can't buy anything from our economy, and overall doesn't like the look of the map. Getting some new players can be addressed by advertising. And that will be done after the maps are finished, to say we are different from other Pokemon-themed servers.
I have 8 Kanto badges and 4 Johto badges!
I was the Vermilion Gym leader on the PVP server, where I led Vermilion for about 3 1/2 years!
I am a Kanto/Johto builder!

1cec0ld

• Frozen Hearted Admin
  • Professor
  • Fighting Blaine
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 09:17:31 pm »

Out of that entire paragraph, only two sentences referenced a problem with the map. IT seems like you have much larger issues at hand. Why not tackle them first? There seems to be much bigger fish to fry, right? Why not start with resolving the in-game issues, then create a suitable map for it? There's no point in having this cool, awesome map if you don't have a solution to the other problems. Before you spend time building, make sure that there is a proper model behind it.

We have solutions to those issues. We are working on the solution to the map issue. Again, we want all the changes to be done at once.

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 09:46:48 pm »
Map quality means nothing, and I mean nothing, compared to gameplay. This server was at its height when the map quality was much lower compared to what it is now but at the height of its gameplay. That's when we were doing events and had a community. People don't need fancy maps to be impressed, they want a fun server with people. You can easily get people here with the current map, 100%.

tymac

• Cool Trainer
  • Fighting Erika
  • Friendliness: -24
  • “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities"
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 10:42:18 pm »
Map quality means nothing, and I mean nothing, compared to gameplay. This server was at its height when the map quality was much lower compared to what it is now but at the height of its gameplay. That's when we were doing events and had a community. People don't need fancy maps to be impressed, they want a fun server with people. You can easily get people here with the current map, 100%.
Im sure admins can hold events. But none are currently. The last one was Mio's-last-minute-scavenger hunt. We just need a few planned events held by admins to make people spend time on the server. (Wink wink)
I have 8 Kanto badges and 4 Johto badges!
I was the Vermilion Gym leader on the PVP server, where I led Vermilion for about 3 1/2 years!
I am a Kanto/Johto builder!

1cec0ld

• Frozen Hearted Admin
  • Professor
  • Fighting Blaine
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 12:08:14 am »
Sure let's feed the upper class players even more items they don't need. Let's give them diamonds-wait they have too many. Money? Nope, too much. How about... Mcmmo levels! Oh they have too many of those.
Well let's just reward them with a pat on the back.
What? No one wants to join the event now?

When nothing is worth anything to the upper class people who are virtually guaranteed to win, there is no incentive to play. The answer: make things valuable again, or make the lower class more like to win. We are choosing option 1, by... Resetting the map, including the majority of people's possessions. But we need to ignore the map problems, I forgot.
Please stop joining the rewasxenvz squad and stop assuming tene and I are blithering idiots with no plan or understanding.

Honedge

• Fighting Misty
  • Friendliness: -10
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 12:13:22 pm »
Remove mcmmo

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 12:38:20 pm »
Sure let's feed the upper class players even more items they don't need. Let's give them diamonds-wait they have too many. Money? Nope, too much. How about... Mcmmo levels! Oh they have too many of those.
Well let's just reward them with a pat on the back.
What? No one wants to join the event now?

When nothing is worth anything to the upper class people who are virtually guaranteed to win, there is no incentive to play. The answer: make things valuable again, or make the lower class more like to win. We are choosing option 1, by... Resetting the map, including the majority of people's possessions. But we need to ignore the map problems, I forgot.
Please stop joining the rewasxenvz squad and stop assuming tene and I are blithering idiots with no plan or understanding.

You're so close minded it's unbelievable. It's like you're not even listening to me. You're right, that way of holding events is messed up. That's why it needs to be revamped. Like I said, it's the GAMEPLAY that's fucked up. Economy is part of gameplay, not map. Literally every issue you're saying is a problem with your gameplay. The map is just a visual. Yeah, there are parts where the map and gameplay are connected, but those are the issues that need to be resolved, not things that look pretty. For example, fixing the issue with the wild and raiders IS a gameplay AND map issue. Making cerulean look really nice solves nothing in the long run. Lots of these issues cross over, but all I see you trying to do is shoehorn the map issue as the answer. Tell me this: Do you honestly expect a new map to magically solve all these issues? Why not make the map improving a side project like it use to be? At this point, it seems to be the main thing from the way you and other admins are talking.

I'll say it one more time: anywhere there is an issue with the map that crosses with gameplay: Fix that now. Then fix gameplay. Then fix map.