Author Topic: Pewter Gym  (Read 6777 times)

rockittt

• Fighting Brock
  • Friendliness: -4
  • Mr Smith!, Mr Wesson... Glad you could make it!
Re: Pewter Gym
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 02:47:44 pm »

[size=78%]Hello everyone... WOW THE GYM IS OFFICIALY INFAMOUS![/size]

WE DID IT EVERYONE! *party whistle

Ok now to the actual comment...

First of all after reading through the CONSTRUCTIVE comments above I noticed people saying there is a 3 obstacle rule? what does that mean? 3 jumps or 3 rooms? or something completly different anyway I didnt know of such a thing youl have to educate me on this.

Ok commonly commented complaints about the gym answered...

"Fucking anticheat teleporting me backwards!"
Sorry dude not my problem its the minecraft engine doing its "job"

"This course is way too long!"
Ok this one required a bit of an answer really... When I began to redesign the pewter course (back way yonder when all it had was a stroll through the lovely flower and tree garden followed by a small hallway with cactus and dispensers with arrows inside) I wanted to make something that would really immerse the challenger into an adventure, I envisioned a difficult and long course that people would have to navigate through whilst also keeping it fair, as you know gyms have a cool down re-challenge time before knocking on the gyms doors again.

well for those who have been living under a rock this whole time the pewter gym has none of this bullshit and allows an infinite number of retries with no waiting time its just "aww shucks I screwed up il try again"

I had the playstation 1 classic game abes oddysee series games in mind when I made it all as the abes oddysee games are hard as shit but they allow the player to retry as many times as they screw up, almost to the point where its basically tool assistance.

So the overall answer to the complaint of the course being too long is the course is designed to be that way, to be a memorable experience and one that youl look back to when you go on to challenge other gyms and reminiss about how underwelming they are (not that the courses suck or anything theyre just nothing to write home about in terms of experience...)

"Fuck my life... fuck parkour I hate you rockittt kill me now!"

This comment I get alot on all parts of the course not just the lava tower as most people seem to think.
Actually most people are unable to make it halfway through the big lava room with the web over the lava, despite all those jumps being ones that DO NOT REQUIRE SPRINT! thats before the glass balancing act.

The jumps in the forest of doom are all jumps that are typically found in day to day minecraft, excluding parkour such as when exploring caverns and ravines to climbing trees etc, If your unable to pass those kinds of jumps then all I can ask is how long have you been playing minecraft for? I imagine the admins thought this too cus up to now even with quite a punishment for failing a jump the forest of doom has been approved and unedited.

The "lava room with web" jumps I wanted to up the ante with some technical jumps, again nothing too hard (unless you have the nuts to go expert course but thats not what were talking about here)

Ok the lava tower that everyone remembers is where I might have pushed them too hard, but to be honest I made it that difficult because if you do screw up a jump it takes less than 10 seconds to get back to where you were to attempt the jump again, this is following my prospect of hard but fair...

Everything between lava tower 1 and the second one are not hard except maybie the water room I might redesign that to make the exit a bit more clear.

Lava tower 2 I wanted to make the climb technique based rather than skill based, all of the ladder transitions were designed to be doable simply by utilising ladder climbing techniques (WHICH ARE TOUGHT TO YOU HALF WAY THROUGH THE COURSE BEFORE TOWER 1 BUT EVERYONE ALWAYS SKIPPED THAT!!!)

Personally I think its even easier than the first lava tower cus even when you dont use techniques for ladder climbing its pretty easy to pass each obstacle anyway but since no one has feedback of that point I cant really say much more.

Also the first incarnation of the 2nd tower when you tried to nerf it 1ce you actually made it slightly harder cus there was a block in the way sorta but mergh.(the tower had completely different jumps to what it was before I put lava in it.

"Your course is plain unfair"
This comment has been said in a variety of different ways, again Id like to point out that the course was designed to be hard but fair, pewter gym is currently the only gym that allows infinite and timeless retries (so long as im online) and most of the rooms themselves have very little punishment for falling off certain jumps like the combo jump in "the lava room with web" there is a platform complete with ladder to climb back up if you fail it as combo jumps arnt too easy especially if you dont check your hunger level.

There are a few gyms out there that have obstacles that are complete bullshit! such as ones with questionaires HELL IF I KNOW HOW MUCH EXP A BUTTERFREE NEEDS TO REACH LEVEL 100! okay there wasnt that question asked in any gym but there were similar questions that required you to alt+tab and go on bulbapedia to look up the answer

And there are gyms that have those motherfucking mazes with doors that if you enter you cant turn back only to find out HAH YOU LOSE SEE YOU IN 2 HOURS DIPSHIT! Yeah all you gym leaders out there you know who you are :P

I dunno if il be the first to do this on the forums but Im gunna confess that I make a temporary /sethome whenever theres these obstacles because

A Is it fun? - Hell no

B Does it make it into a challenging course? - Well if you compare your course layout to that of a game on the NES generation games where you can memorize everything all the enemy spawn locations and extra live locations then no its not challenging its just a memory game AND I HATE MEMORY!

C Does this obstacle make the course into a memorable experience? Well if you count me remembering the amount of times I punched myself in the face everytime I reached a sign saying HAH FUCK YOU SEE YOU IN... then yeah sorta... but its not good memories!

And dont be hungry hungry hippo...critical about this I know people who set homes in gym courses cus theyre motherfucking hard, they dont do it in mine cus im always watching their ass making sure they dont use an enderpearl or an antifire...

You mentioned this 1ce "If you want to create parkour courses, we have plans for that elsewhere"

Im intrigued what is this plan you got?

The rooms that have been bedrocked I asked earlier if you were to remove the bedrock I would be willing to completely redesign the two towers in the course with different stuff in them but because you confined the room to really tight squeeses I kinda ran out of ideas on how to utilise those spaces effectively which is why I got the buckets o lava :L

If anyone has any further complaints/questions THEN HOLLAR AWAY IM HERE ALL DAY GAH! *PUNCHES HIMSELF!*

Ad...

WaffleDoc

• PokeManiac
  • Raiding TeamRocket in Celadon
  • Friendliness: -128
  • Detective WaffleCock reporting for Duty!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 07:42:49 pm »
I read half of the post until I got bored :/ can you summarize?

1cec0ld

• Frozen Hearted Admin
  • Professor
  • Fighting Blaine
  • Friendliness: 94
  • Who am I to judge others?
  • Pokemon Team: Typhlosion, Espeon, Aerodactyl, Glalie, Jolteon, Mew the HM Slave
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 07:54:46 pm »
[size=78%]Hello everyone... WOW THE GYM IS OFFICIALY INFAMOUS![/size]

WE DID IT EVERYONE! *party whistle
Congratulations, you are up there with Nightroado's Lava Ladders and my Cobweb Run.

Ok now to the actual comment...

First of all after reading through the CONSTRUCTIVE comments above I noticed people saying there is a 3 obstacle rule? what does that mean? 3 jumps or 3 rooms? or something completly different anyway I didnt know of such a thing youl have to educate me on this.

Basically, it was something added to put a leash on how long/hard a course could be. Most people remember the insanity that was Blackthorn Gym Course, having around 9 different, clearly visible sections, and being long as hell, to the point where you had to press W just to walk all the way down a path for around 20 straight minutes. Not fun. We say 3 'obstacles' but it's really up to interpretation. If the gym isn't too difficult to the point of being a frustrating waste of time, an obstacle could be 3 similarly themed rooms. If a room takes 25-45 minutes to complete, we're more likely to count that one room as an obstacle in itself.

Personally, I don't like any course that takes over an hour and quickly kills you for failing.

"This course is way too long!"
Ok this one required a bit of an answer really... When I began to redesign the pewter course (back way yonder when all it had was a stroll through the lovely flower and tree garden followed by a small hallway with cactus and dispensers with arrows inside) I wanted to make something that would really immerse the challenger into an adventure, I envisioned a difficult and long course that people would have to navigate through whilst also keeping it fair, as you know gyms have a cool down re-challenge time before knocking on the gyms doors again.
well for those who have been living under a rock this whole time the pewter gym has none of this bullshit and allows an infinite number of retries with no waiting time its just "aww shucks I screwed up il try again"
I had the playstation 1 classic game abes oddysee series games in mind when I made it all as the abes oddysee games are hard as shit but they allow the player to retry as many times as they screw up, almost to the point where its basically tool assistance.

So the overall answer to the complaint of the course being too long is the course is designed to be that way, to be a memorable experience and one that youl look back to when you go on to challenge other gyms and reminiss about how underwelming they are (not that the courses suck or anything theyre just nothing to write home about in terms of experience...)
I have no quarrel with how much time the gym takes. Most people remember my Cobweb Run of Hell, and that took about 40 minutes of straight walking. But it was easy. Stupidly easy.

Make it difficult, make it take forever, but don't make it both.

"Fuck my life... fuck parkour I hate you rockittt kill me now!"

This comment I get alot on all parts of the course not just the lava tower as most people seem to think.
Actually most people are unable to make it halfway through the big lava room with the web over the lava, despite all those jumps being ones that DO NOT REQUIRE SPRINT! thats before the glass balancing act.
That's why I didn't edit that part. Though I'm sometimes tempted to modify some of those ladder-wall jumps, I've managed to keep it so far.

The jumps in the forest of doom are all jumps that are typically found in day to day minecraft, excluding parkour such as when exploring caverns and ravines to climbing trees etc, If your unable to pass those kinds of jumps then all I can ask is how long have you been playing minecraft for? I imagine the admins thought this too cus up to now even with quite a punishment for failing a jump the forest of doom has been approved and unedited.
The punishment is walking around and trying again. Not death/losing items. It is a course that can take a long time [if you are bad at simple jumps], but isn't going to make you quit for falling.

The "lava room with web" jumps I wanted to up the ante with some technical jumps, again nothing too hard (unless you have the nuts to go expert course but thats not what were talking about here)
If I could edit anything in this room, I'd just say remove the stinkin lava, its bad enough walking back to the beginning to try again, without the threat of dying and having to restart the entire gym.

Ok the lava tower that everyone remembers is where I might have pushed them too hard, but to be honest I made it that difficult because if you do screw up a jump it takes less than 10 seconds to get back to where you were to attempt the jump again, this is following my prospect of hard but fair...
Hard but fair is fine.
But so far, you have 1 hard and 2 long. Average gym time: probably 5 minutes. This part took around 10 minutes. A single section taking 2 times longer than the entire gym so far, and we're not even halfway done. Slight problem there. Now let's add lava to the middle just in case someone really messes up. Now they are either dead from lava+fire+falling, or they are near death and have to start over. It's too much.

Everything between lava tower 1 and the second one are not hard except maybe the water room I might redesign that to make the exit a bit more clear.
Honestly that's my favorite part. It's a bit hard to see, but that's not a game-changer. It takes time, and could possibly kill you, but you have many opportunities to go back and try again. There are no pitfalls, no instakills, just... Try to find your way through here, and don't drown yourself.

Lava tower 2 I wanted to make the climb technique based rather than skill based, all of the ladder transitions were designed to be doable simply by utilising ladder climbing techniques (WHICH ARE TOUGHT TO YOU HALF WAY THROUGH THE COURSE BEFORE TOWER 1 BUT EVERYONE ALWAYS SKIPPED THAT!!!)
There is no sign in the gym that tells you how to sprint-jump off of a ladder behind you, onto a ladder 3 blocks away on the far wall. There were at least 2 of those jumps in that area. I really like the signs telling you how to do the jumps, but they should explain every jump if you want it to be accepted. I do like how the tutorial was done too, particularly the first one where you look at the + as you try to go up and around the column. It was very rewarding to get that on the first try when I followed the signs.

Also the first incarnation of the 2nd tower when you tried to nerf it 1ce you actually made it slightly harder cus there was a block in the way sorta but mergh.(the tower had completely different jumps to what it was before I put lava in it.
Hard isn't bad. Hard+Lethal is bad.

There are a few gyms out there that have obstacles that are complete bullshit! such as ones with questionaires HELL IF I KNOW HOW MUCH EXP A BUTTERFREE NEEDS TO REACH LEVEL 100! okay there wasnt that question asked in any gym but there were similar questions that required you to alt+tab and go on bulbapedia to look up the answer
Easy and nonlethal. (Yes, boring, I know.)

And there are gyms that have those motherfucking mazes with doors that if you enter you cant turn back only to find out HAH YOU LOSE SEE YOU IN 2 HOURS DIPSHIT! Yeah all you gym leaders out there you know who you are :P
I also disapprove of those, but it's hard to word a rule in a way that covers these abusive cases, while covering every loophole, and not making gymleaders hate their job. I'm open to suggestions.

You mentioned this 1ce "If you want to create parkour courses, we have plans for that elsewhere"

Im intrigued what is this plan you got?
Probably some kind of challenge in the Pokeathlon or Battle Frontier, we have a lot of empty space out there. I'm looking up how to make timers and such, might have one be a speed run or something like that.
No plan is certain yet, but I am certain that there are a lot of empty event areas that need some love, and challenging parkour isn't a bad start. (Just not in gyms, where everyone is required to complete them)

The rooms that have been bedrocked I asked earlier if you were to remove the bedrock I would be willing to completely redesign the two towers in the course with different stuff in them but because you confined the room to really tight squeeses I kinda ran out of ideas on how to utilise those spaces effectively which is why I got the buckets o lava :L

If anyone has any further complaints/questions THEN HOLLAR AWAY IM HERE ALL DAY GAH! *PUNCHES HIMSELF!*
Bedrock edited.

My last complaint: please try not to be so vulgar on your signs. Saying lava makes you horny or telling people to fuck themselves, is not what we have in mind for gym reading. This is a pokemon themed game, try to keep the language at Pokemon TV Show level. I know this is the internet, but I have idealistic standards, and will continue to fight for them as long as I hold any authority.
(If there are other signs in other gyms, tell me the coordinates and I will happily edit them as I did yours. In equally trolly ways.)