Author Topic: "Pokémon changed so much I hate it!"  (Read 8817 times)

~Ali~

• Aussie
  • Surfing south to SeaFoam
  • Friendliness: 77
  • Always watching over.
"Pokémon changed so much I hate it!"
« on: July 27, 2013, 05:03:27 pm »
What do you think about the above statement, have the Pokémon designs gone overboard? Do you still like the games?

Say generation one is your favorite. With awesome designs like Charizard, Cloyster, and Sandslash, it’s pretty hard to go wrong. The designs back then were plain and simple. Not full of these crazy markings and logos that litter today’s generation. In fact, the most notable marking was Arbok’s hood. Now it’s all about how much we can stuff into one pokemon until it’s overloaded with markings. It just makes the design look crowded and ugly. The Pokemon today hardly even look like Pokemon. It’s fine to put a few markings on a design, but there’s a limit.

Time to switch gears, let’s say that generation five is your favorite, with really cool pokemon like Gigalith, Zebstrika, and Zoroark. There’s a lot of detail put into those designs. Surely much better than those bland Pokemon all the Kanto fanatics are raving about. All those extra touches Game Freak puts on the Pokemon really brings out the factors that people look for. Generation one Pokemon don’t have anything on the detail work of Sigilyph. After all, if you can put more details on Pokemon, why not?

I would just like to say that comparing one generation to another is like comparing apples to oranges. You obviously have your favorite, but if someone doesn’t like one or the other, there’s no way of convincing that person to like the other. Let’s take a moment to look at each of the generations and the general vibe we got from the new pokemon.

Fast forward to today, and the quality of the graphics have skyrocketed. We went from a few colors on a sprite, to full 3D models. You can pack a pokemon full of crazy designs till it bursts. Because of this boost, and Pokemon’s grown popularity, that’s exactly what Game Freak is doing. This has created a rift in the fandom. The people who prefer the older, simpler designs, and the fans who prefer the newer, more detailed designs. I know the fandom isn’t this black and white, and that there are a lot of people who love all the designs, but for the sake of arguing we’ll just leave it at those two sides.

Arguments have popped up all over forums and various websites about which generation is best. The old fans point out Pokemon like Garbodor and Vanilluxe, and say how Game Freak is losing their creative vibe. Newer fans are pointing out Pokemon like Magneton and Muk, and say that generation one never really had much creativity in the first place. The funny thing about this, is that both sides constantly barrage the same pokemon. Almost everywhere the pokemon that are being put up for evidence are the same pokemon as another site with very little deviation. Garbodor and Vanilluxe will be insulted every day, while Gigalith and Zoroark stay virtually untouched. Same thing goes with Magneton and Muk, while Lapras and Sandslash are never pointed out by the opposition.

The truth is, each generation has its fair share of good and bad designs. The designs as a whole are changing, that much is certain. Very few designers have worked with Game Freak since the first generation. Whether or not you like where the designs are heading is up to you. Are the designs getting worse over time? I say no, but it’s up to you whether or not you’ll change along with the Pokemon.

Memories, something a person will have forever.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog

Ad...

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
  • Friendliness: 39
Re: "Pokémon changed so much I hate it!"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 05:17:23 pm »
For me personally, it's about the nostalgia. I hate to say it, but I agree with the statement. I can't play any pokemon really besides the ones in Kanto and Johto (I like the remakes, so I'm just dealing with regions and their respective pokemon). Whether it's the old red version or Soul silver, I love it to death. I think it's not really the design, but the nostalgia. I played Kanto and Johto to DEATH when I was younger. I kind of skipped out on the others but I did play them a bit.

I've played those two games over and over and over, up to my current age. But when I bought Pokemon Black a while back, I got to the first badge and got bored. Something wans't there. I think I'm attracted to pokemon because of it's nostalgia. It's not a game I really like due to it's content I realize but more because of how much I loved it as a kid. I get chills thinking about my adventures when I played those games. I think it's the kid in me that loves Pokemon, not the older one. That's why I was fine stopping building at Kanto and Johto. I don't care about the other generations. Kanto and Johto will live in my heart forever as the best.

So yeah, I hate the new ones. I loved the old cartoons. I loved the old games. It's simply nostalgia and memories. I can't do that anymore with the new ones which I really wish I could.

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 05:24:22 pm »
For me personally, it's about the nostalgia. I hate to say it, but I agree with the statement. I can't play any pokemon really besides the ones in Kanto and Johto (I like the remakes, so I'm just dealing with regions and their respective pokemon). Whether it's the old red version or Soul silver, I love it to death. I think it's not really the design, but the nostalgia. I played Kanto and Johto to DEATH when I was younger. I kind of skipped out on the others but I did play them a bit.

I've played those two games over and over and over, up to my current age. But when I bought Pokemon Black a while back, I got to the first badge and got bored. Something wans't there. I think I'm attracted to pokemon because of it's nostalgia. It's not a game I really like due to it's content I realize but more because of how much I loved it as a kid. I get chills thinking about my adventures when I played those games. I think it's the kid in me that loves Pokemon, not the older one. That's why I was fine stopping building at Kanto and Johto. I don't care about the other generations. Kanto and Johto will live in my heart forever as the best.

So yeah, I hate the new ones. I loved the old cartoons. I loved the old games. It's simply nostalgia and memories. I can't do that anymore with the new ones which I really wish I could.

You MUST get X and Y. They'll change Pokémon forever.

Johto is my favourite, probably closely followed by Sinnoh. Kalos may change that though, at the current rate :P

Z4X3R

• Raiding TeamRocket in Celadon
  • Friendliness: 0
  • we really out here
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 05:33:15 pm »
I don't care about the designs, as much as the storylines. I might be wrong, but ever since sinnoh or unova, the games have been marketed far more to 7 year old kids. I might just not remember those moments in the first few games, but when I played white, I was just suck of the constant friendship references and so on. I might just be a bitter person, but a Pokemon game without all of that would be great for a change.

Paradox

• Professor
  • Fighting Giovanni
  • Friendliness: 39
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 05:34:36 pm »
You MUST get X and Y. They'll change Pokémon forever.

Johto is my favourite, probably closely followed by Sinnoh. Kalos may change that though, at the current rate :P

You think? I haven't done any indepth research into it. What's different about it? And can I play it on the normal DS? I don't want to buy a whole new platform really but if it's that amazing...

Sahaquiel_9

• Entering Lavender Town
  • Friendliness: -23
  • Lakweesha Muthafuckinisha Jones
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 05:58:38 pm »
You will have to get a 3ds for the new games if you don't already have one.  Personally, I love the new designs and the new regions.  The X and Y pokemon are amazing and I'd love to get some of them like honedge, pancham, and noivern.  The designs for those are some of the best I've seen.  I don't think the new pokemon games are getting bad; I think they're getting even better and they're having more complex story lines.
Former Viridian and Celadon City leader

Come on, Satan! Let's get sickening!

ryancpexpert

• Dragon Tamer
  • Raiding Silph Co.
  • Friendliness: -53
  • Ex Kanto Champion #GaryOakStatus
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 06:30:06 pm »
I started hating pokemon the second a Trash Bag became one.

EDIT- Not Exactly hating it, but hating the creators.
-IGN: ryancpexpert (Ryan)
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
-EX Kanto Champion
Sure you have won plenty of battles but remember that 100x0 will always be 0

oddy

• Professor
  • Raiding Silph Co.
  • Friendliness: 32
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 07:27:54 pm »
I started hating pokemon the second a Trash Bag became one.

EDIT- Not Exactly hating it, but hating the creators.
i lold, my problem with pokemon is the story lines kanto was simple, you go on a journey there's a few jerks and you become the best, johto was similar. After that the story lines didnt really make sense, they were followed the same concept and than tried to make alterations to make it a little more in depth I get but you got douche bags trying to drought or flood the world because they think it will make it better... Beg pardon? I don't care what logic you can try to put behind it, it's stupid. Further more if these orbs have that power and its apparently common knowledge why is an wlderly couple in charge of their well being? I dlnt care anode pokemon models, well I do to an extent, but they come up with stupid plots and I don't like it
Where's the fire? What's the hurry about? You better cool it off before you burn it out.

Prodigy39

• Professor
  • Friendliness: 18
  • Live your life the way you want to
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 01:45:21 am »
After Hg/SS I really lost all feel for Pokemon. Though I continue to buy the games just in case I am suprised. BW1 and 2 I felt had a great story, gameplay... meh
"Tene likes her men like squirrels like their acorns... Buried." -Me, inspired from adult swim
I approve

~Ali~

• Aussie
  • Friendliness: 77
  • Always watching over.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 04:11:57 am »
Let's show you some screenshots from the newer games.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:14:57 am by ~Ali~ »

Memories, something a person will have forever.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 05:06:27 am »

You think? I haven't done any indepth research into it. What's different about it? And can I play it on the normal DS? I don't want to buy a whole new platform really but if it's that amazing...

3DS will me necessary to play X and Y but from all the news and recent pictures, the games look set to be the best yet.

hobo4chompy

• Fighting Your Rival
  • Friendliness: 1
  • The Lemon Law Its A Real Thing
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 12:51:52 am »
I got to say i my opinion. I like every pokemon game.
Each pokemon game has their on unique traits and adventure

I really like Black 2 and white 2

Just seeing those flash backs of Black and white 1 were just so amazing T_T. It breaks my heart thought that The main character from each game just gets thrown away like they never existed in the first place. I liked it when they brought in a Battle with RED because that just made me think about the old pokemon games where you Play as Red.

For example

Hoenn - you would vs Jimmy / Crystal
Sinnoh - You would vs Ruby/ Brandon (What ever you call him) / May or Sapphire
Unova - You would Vs Lucas / Dawn
Unova B & W 2 - You would vs Nate / rosa

It would just be awesome to see their adventures after the games

Ps - Still waiting for a Game where you can travel to all Regions

ArchieSalt

• Professor Assistant
  • Spelunking in Seafoam Islands
  • Friendliness: 25
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 05:35:32 am »

I'm very much the same except I loved all up until Generation 5. It's definitely the nostalgia which just isn't there in the newer games.
Furthermore they've changed too much - Why do you have to be friends with your rival. He's your RIVAL!
His job is to leave messages on signs saying '(Insert Name) stinks' or (Haha, i'm ahead of you)
What happened to your rivals inconvenient timing - Just beat Misty then OH FUCK, Here's Gary and he's going to destroy me.

ArchieSalt

• Professor Assistant
  • Spelunking in Seafoam Islands
  • Friendliness: 25
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 05:37:05 am »
In other news, the game is one of the biggest 3DS games yet, coming in at a grand total size of 1.7GB (Don't download it)

Anonymouslyanon

• Hoenn Head Builder, Official House Auditor
  • Cerulean Leader
  • Cycling Road
  • Friendliness: 24
  • Lather, rinse, maim.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 06:54:21 am »
I'm very much the same except I loved all up until Generation 5. It's definitely the nostalgia which just isn't there in the newer games.
Furthermore they've changed too much - Why do you have to be friends with your rival. He's your RIVAL!
His job is to leave messages on signs saying '(Insert Name) stinks' or (Haha, i'm ahead of you)
What happened to your rivals inconvenient timing - Just beat Misty then OH FUCK, Here's Gary and he's going to destroy me.
your rival is your friend in r/s/e and in d/p/pt